Tuesday, August 21, 2007

RapidPenang

Take note! 31st July 2007 was a brilliant day in Penang. It was cloudy, cool, and breezy - perfect for the launch of RapidPenang, the new public bus service in Penang. I was running around doing errands but made sure that I was sitting at the bus stop outside my in-laws house after lunch.

For decades, Penang residents and visitors have had to endure rides in dirty and very infrequent buses. Too often have I waited 90 minutes plus for the MPPP No 6 bus, only to see three No 6 buses roll down Chulia Street together!

RapidPenang is a subsidiary of RapidKL, which is a government owned company that runs the light rail and a bus network in Kuala Lumpur. I’m sure that there will be some teething problems in the beginning, but this has to be a step in the correct direction to solve Penang’s public transport and traffic woes. RapidPenang has distributed a route booklet, but it would be great to see schedule information in the future. In addition, it would be great to see some sort of multiuse tickets (daily/monthly) for tourists and regulars. Seniors can also sign up for a card that will allow for discounted tickets.



After a wait of about 30 minutes, I finally spied the cream colored bus rolling up Jelutong Road. I flagged it down and hopped into an absolutely packed bus. The a/c was working great I have to mention.



I jumped off the bus at the next stop and watched with pride as it pulled away. Good luck, RapidPenang!



They don’t have a webpage yet, but you can watch this site for more info: prasarana.

No comments: