Friday, August 24, 2007


Oh the humanity! Having driven since 1987, and having driven roughly 360K miles in the last ten years, I’m now a P-plater in MEL. LOL!

The process of getting a VicRoads drivers license was quick. Since I had a drivers license from one of the countries that were exempted from having to take a license test, all I had to do was to make an appointment, show up with the proper documentation (overseas license, passport, proof of address, bank card), fork over $44, and a three-year license was mine.


I went to the VicRoads office in Tally Ho (what a great name!), and found the service to be super fast and very friendly.

Don't ask me why but I cannot stop pronouncing vicroads as vic-row-ads, ala Chris Farley and David Spade in Black Sheep! Row-ads...row-ads...

According to VicRoads, P-platers “must not drive high powered vehicles”. Darn, guess that Koenigsegg will have to wait…

You have a short period of time to obtain a VicRoads license upon entering Victoria as a permanent resident. If you have a valid drivers license from one of these countries: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Jersey, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, USA, and Guernsey, you can do what I did. If you don't, well, you will probably have to start from scratch: ie, pass the theory part first, and then pass the driving part. I'm told the current wait between the theory and practical exams are 8 weeks! During which you will suffer a fate worse than P-plating... L-plating!

Of course, best bet will be to get yourself to a VicRoads office and figure it out. You may find these links handy:

visitor info
online practice test

No comments: